[Python-3000] Special methods and interface-based type system

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Thu Nov 23 08:23:40 CET 2006

George Sakkis wrote:

> First off, I never implied someone's stupid just because we don't
> happen to agree on everything.

brushing off a carefully thought out design and the process that led
up to it with "it's just like picking between two random colors" is a
pretty direct way of saying that you consider yourself so much smarter
than the people involved that you don't even care about what they're doing.

> As for Mike's answer, I went back and
> read it again; please do the same. He doesn't address HCI reasons at
> all, it's a purely technical argument by pointing out an inconsistency
> of Java (which kinda distracts from the main point but that's ok).

HCI is all about picking the *right* technical solutions, though.
Python's designed for humans, and humans aren't robots; the solutions
you choose and the way you integrate them affect how people understands
them and use them, on many different levels.  what Mike wrote about was
one such case (which follows from 1b in GvR's post), where Python's way
of doing things helped people avoid a certain real-life problem, without
even noticing.

seriously, if you think that HCI (or for that matter, design) is only
about what color you use for a technical solution designed by real
engineers, you've pretty much missed the point of the whole field.  and
you've pretty much missed the point of Python's design.

</F>