[Python-3000] Generic functions vs. OO

Bill Janssen janssen at parc.com
Tue Nov 28 19:03:24 CET 2006

Guido van Rossum wrote:
> I wonder if a bunch of well thought-out standard ABCs, applied to the
> standard data types, and perhaps more support for setting __bases__,
> wouldn't address most concerns.

I think it would, but I don't know if we're going to get anywhere
without getting more concrete.  Let's tap "the wisdom of crowds".  I've
set up a Wiki page at http://wiki.python.org/moin/AbstractBaseClasses,
and spent a little time defining some ABCs and concrete classes.  I'll
work on it more over the week, but feel free to pitch in and expand it.
Or create alternative versions (create a new Wiki page, and put a link
to it at the top of the existing page).

Bill