[Python-3000] A better way to initialize PyTypeObject

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Wed Nov 29 06:55:55 CET 2006

On  29 Nov 2006, at 1:10 AM, Greg Ewing wrote:

> BTW, another advantage of all this is that it provides a lot
> more flexibility in the overall approach to implementing
> the type object. For example, we might decide to move the
> type slots into a separate memory block, so that the
> type struct could be extended by subclasses in the same
> way as other types.

You underestimate the amount of effort that was spend on the 2.x
PyTypeObject implementation :-). It is already possibly to extend the
type struct in Python 2.3 and later (at least of heap allocated
types). One example use of this is PyObjCClassObject in PyObjC.

This won't work in Python 2.2, the necessary machinery was added to
the type implementation in 2.3.

Ronald