[Python-3000] locale-aware strings ?

Paul Prescod paul at prescod.net
Tue Sep 5 22:21:25 CEST 2006

> > So, for me and users
> > like me, Python is going to silently misinterpret my data.
>
> Not to any greater extent than Notepad or whatever other tool you are
> using.

Yes. Unicode was invented in large part because people got sick of crappy
tools that silently misintepreted their data. "I see a Euro character here,
a happy face there, a stack trace in a third place and my friend says he
sees an accented character." Not only do we not want to emulate that (PEP
263 explicitly chooses not to), we don't want to encourage other programmers
to do so either.

 Paul Prescod