[Python-3000] Help on text editors

Michael Urman murman at gmail.com
Sat Sep 9 06:39:25 CEST 2006

On 9/7/06, Jeff Wilcox <jeff at soft.fujitsu.com> wrote:
> > From: "Paul Prescod" <paul at prescod.net>
> > 1. On US English Windows, Notepad defaults to an encoding called "ANSI".
> > "ANSI" is not a real encoding at all (and certainly not one from the
> On Japanese Windows 2000, Notepad defaults to ANSI as it does in the English
> version.  It actually writes Shift JIS though.

ANSI is not an encoding; it is a collective name for various multibyte
encodings, each corresponding to a particular default language of the
machine. Thus ANSI corresponds to cp1252 on English and cp932 on
Japanese machines.

As for whether cp932 is the same as Shift JIS, David and I seem to
disagree. While I lack hard data, the string '\\' round trips through
either on my box.
--
Michael Urman  http://www.tortall.net/mu/blog