[Python-3000] Offtopic: declaring encoding

Paul Prescod paul at prescod.net
Sun Sep 10 01:26:15 CEST 2006

On 9/9/06, Marcin 'Qrczak' Kowalczyk <qrczak at knm.org.pl> wrote:

> "Paul Prescod" <paul at prescod.net> writes:
>
> > text data cannot even be reliably processed on the desktop on which
> > it was created (yes, even on Unix: look back in this thread).
>
> Where?

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-3000/2006-September/003492.html

New communication protocols and newly created file formats designed
> for interchange will either specify the text encoding in metadata
> (if files are expected to be edited by hand and it's still a near future),
> or use UTF-8 exclusively. Simple file formats expected to be used only
> locally will continue to have the encoding implicit.
>
> The system encoding of Unix boxes will more commonly be UTF-8 as time
> passes.

Okay, thanks for your view of where things are going. I think that it is
clear that UTF-8 will replace iso8859-* on Unix over the next few years. It
isn't as clear if it (or any other global encoding) will replace EUC.

 Paul Prescod