[Python-3000] Pre-PEP: Easy Text File Decoding

Oleg Broytmann phd at phd.pp.ru
Mon Sep 11 12:30:31 CEST 2006

On Sun, Sep 10, 2006 at 12:02:44PM -0700, Paul Prescod wrote:
> * Eastern Unix/Linux users using UTF-8 apps like gedit or apps "saving as"
> UTF-8

   Finally I've got the definitive answer for "is Russia Europe or Asia?"
It is an Eastern country! At last! ;)

> Maybe the guessing algorithm should read the WHOLE FILE.

   Zen: "In the face of ambiguity, refuse the temptation to guess."

   Unfortunately this contradicts to not the only idea how much to read
but the to whole idea to guess encoding. So may be we are going in the
wrong direction. IMHO the right direction is to include a guessing script
in Tools directory.

Oleg.
     Oleg Broytmann            http://phd.pp.ru/            phd at phd.pp.ru