[Python-3000] Kill GIL?

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Tue Sep 19 06:01:10 CEST 2006

Nick Coghlan wrote:

> I was thinking it would be easier to split out the Global Interpreter Lock and
> a per-interpreter Local Interpreter Lock, rather than trying to go to a full
> free-threading model. Anyone sharing other objects between interpreters would
> still need their own synchronisation mechanism, but something like
> threading.Queue should suffice for that.

I don't think that using an ordinary Queue object would
suffice for that, because it's designed on the assumption
that basic refcounting etc. is already protected by a GIL.

If nothing else, you'd need some kind of extra locking
mechanism to manage the refcount of the Queue object itself.

University of Canterbury,	   | Carpe post meridiem!          	  |
Christchurch, New Zealand	   | (I'm not a morning person.)          |