[Python-3000] How will unicode get used?

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Thu Sep 21 03:55:24 CEST 2006

On 9/20/06, Adam Olsen <rhamph at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 9/20/06, Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org> wrote:
> > On 9/20/06, Adam Olsen <rhamph at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Wow, you really did mean code units.  In that case I'm very tempted to
> > > support UTF-8, with byte indexing (which is what code units are in its
> > > case).  It's ugly, but it technically works fine, and it's the de
> > > facto standard on Linux.  No more ugly than UTF-16 code units IMO,
> > > just more obvious.
> >
> > Who charged you with designing the string implementation?
>
> Last I checked, the point of mailing lists such as these was to allow
> input from the community at large.
>
> In any case, my reaction was simply because I misunderstood your intentions.

I was specifically reacting to your use of the phrasing "I'm very
tempted to support UTF-8"; this wording suggests that it would be your
choice to make. I could have pointed out the obvious (that equating
the difficulty of using UTF-8 with that of using UTF-16 doesn't make
it so) but I figured the other readers are also tired of your attempts
to move this into an entirely different direction, and based on a
thorough lack of understanding of the status quo no less.