[Python-3000] Removing __del__

Giovanni Bajo rasky at develer.com
Sat Sep 23 10:01:32 CEST 2006

Raymond Hettinger wrote:

>> I don't use __del__ much. I use it only in leaf classes, where it
>> surely can't be part of loops. In those rare cases, it's very useful
>> to me. For instance, I have a small classes which wraps an existing
>> handle-based C API exported to Python. Something along the lines of:
>>
>> class Wrapper:
>>    def __init__(self, *args):
>>           self.handle = CAPI.init(*args)
>>
>>    def __del__(self, *args):
>>            CAPI.close(self.handle)
>>
>>    def foo(self):
>>            CAPI.foo(self.handle)
>>
>> The real class isn't much longer than this (really). How do you
>> propose to write this same code without __del__?
>>

> Use weakref and apply the usual idioms for the callbacks:
>
> class Wrapper:
>     def __init__(self, *args):
>            self.handle = CAPI.init(*args)
>    self._wr = weakref.ref(self, lambda wr, h=self.handle:
> CAPI.close(h))
>
>     def foo(self):
>             CAPI.foo(self.handle)

What happens if self.handle changes? Or if it's closed, so that weakref should
be destroyed? You will have to bookkeep _wr everywhere across the class code.

You're proposing to remove a simple method that is easy to use and explain, but
that can cause complex problems in some cases (cycles). The alternative is a
complex finalization system, which uses weakrefs, delayed function calls, and
must be written smartly to avoid keeping references to "self". I don't see this
as a progress. On the other hand, __close__ is easy to understand, maintain,
and would solve one problem of __del__.

I think what Python 2.x really needs is a better way (library + interpreter
support) to debug cycles (both collectable and uncollectable, as the frormer
type can be just as bad as the latter time in real-time applications). Removing
__del__ just complicates real-world use cases without providing a comprehensive
solution to the problem.

Giovanni Bajo