[Python-3000] Reminder: Py3k PEPs due by April

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Tue Apr 10 21:03:46 CEST 2007

> As I stated in my PyCon keynote and repeated (though somewhat hidden)
> in PEP 3000, all PEPs for Py3k are due by April. The end of April is
> only a few weeks away, so now is the time to start drafting that PEP
> if you care about Python 3000! This is so that we will be able to
> concentrate on *implementing* the accepted proposals by June, in time
> for the planned release 3.0a1.

Just so people know what I have in the pipeline, I have two PEPs planned:

1. Add a built-in named __main__ so as to fix the problem of executing a
script that exists in a package and uses new relative imports (see
http://sayspy.blogspot.com/2007/03/possible-change-to-handle-main-code-in.htmlfor
a more detailed explanation).

2. Remove file.__init__, code.__init__, and object.__subclasses__ for
security reasons.  I am trying to get approval from my supervisor to make
public a doc I wrote for a class that explains my security work that I
presented on at PyCon to vet the design one more time on python-dev before I
push for these removals.

-Brett