[Python-3000] Reminder: Py3k PEPs due by April

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Wed Apr 11 03:22:56 CEST 2007

On 4/10/07, Greg Ewing <greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz> wrote:

> Phillip J. Eby wrote:
>
> > The __subclasses__ method is useful -- even more so in 3.x than in 2.x,
> > because in 3.x there are no classic classes.
>
> For security purposes, I think it would be better to
> adopt a principle that it shouldn't be possible to
> do anything dangerous merely by instantiating a
> class (e.g. open() opens files, but file() doesn't).
> Then __subclasses__ would be harmless.

True.  As long as you don't use class attributes or have dangerous default
arguments (and that is the kicker usually) then that policy is doable.

And I should clarify that the method does not need to disappear as it can
move to an extension module somewhere.   I just don't want it exposed right
off of object and thus in the built-in namespace.

-Brett