[Python-3000] Reminder: Py3k PEPs due by April

Jason Orendorff jason.orendorff at gmail.com
Wed Apr 11 19:03:52 CEST 2007

On 4/10/07, Raymond Hettinger <python at rcn.com> wrote:
> * Eliminate implicit string concatenation:   "abc" "def"
> in favor of an explicit + operation.  That simplifies
> the grammar just a bit and the compiler already is
> smart enough to do constant fold this operation at
> compile time. [...]

My gut instinct was "whoa, don't change that".  But:

I think this behavior comes from C, where it's useful mainly because
of the preprocessor.  In Python it's not as useful.  And C experience
is not as universal as it once was.  I bet this looks pretty confusing
the first time you run into it.

Sure, I use it, but if it went away, I would type the plus sign.  Not
a problem.  And it would be one less thing for newcomers to learn, and
explicit is better, right?

Maybe this little slice of the complexity budget could be better
invested elsewhere.

-j