[Python-3000] i18n prefix

Humberto Diogenes humberto at digi.com.br
Tue Apr 17 07:35:26 CEST 2007

Hi, folks!!

   This is my first post to python-3000. After Guido PEPs-deadline
announcement, I decided to discuss an old idea while it still has
some chance of being accepted. :)

   No, I do not want i18n identifiers. What I'd like to propose is a
standard syntax for i18n strings. Something like:
   print i"my string"

   My points are:
   * i18n is everywhere (or is it the other way around? :-)
   * Python has a tradition of incorporating good practices
   * _ = gettext.gettext; print _("my string") isn't very nice

   So, do you think that something like i"my string" would be better
than _("my string")? Would it add unnecessary complexity to Python?

--
Humberto Diógenes
http://humberto.digi.com.br