[Python-3000] removing functions from string module

Josiah Carlson jcarlson at uci.edu
Wed Apr 18 03:19:04 CEST 2007

Christian Heimes <lists at cheimes.de> wrote:

> Neal Norwitz schrieb:
> > I'm tempted to ask the same thing about the types module.
>
> Don't forget the 'new' module. It's a candidate for 'svn rm'.
>
> """Create new objects of various types.  Deprecated.
>
> This module is no longer required except for backward compatibility.
> Objects of most types can now be created by calling the type object.
> """

I would generally agree with you, except that when monkey patching
instances...
    self.method = new.instancemethod(other.method.im_func,
                                     self,
                                     self.__class__)

... is a bit more understandable than...
    self.metbod = type(other.method)(other.method.im_func,
                                     self,
                                     self.__class__)

... at least in the examples that I've seen.  Never mind that new is
documented in the standard library documentation, but the types are not.

 - Josiah