[Python-3000] IPv6 address tuple

Erno Kuusela erno at iki.fi
Wed Apr 18 11:23:40 CEST 2007

"Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de> writes:

> > I first suggested just chopping off the flowid and scopeid parts of the
> > tuple. Itojun's reply seems to indicate we could potentially get away
> > with merging the scopeid to the IP address part in a standard fashion,
> > and discarding the flowid part.
>
> Thanks for this research? As a next step, it would be interesting to
> see how it is done elsewhere (besides C and Python).
>
> As you may see, I would be really uncomfortable changing this in
> a way that locks out interesting applications, or deviates too far
> from the IPv6 community. So compatibility with the rest of the
> world is of utmost importance.
>
> If you could collect options, established tradition, pros and cons
> in a document, that would be good.

I've not managed to get a survey of other environments done
so I'd like to ask others on this list to do a little
digging on other languages they are familiar with.

Hackers with knowledge about socket interfaces in Ruby, Perl, Java and
C# or any other high-level socket mapping, I'd like
answers to the following questions:

 * How is the socket addres (or equivalent) abstracted,
   what mechanisms are there to make it convenient for
   code to handle both IPv4 and IPv6 sockets?

 * If there's a high-level semi-automatic DNS interface,
   how does that deal with v4 vs v6? Eg, can I ask
   "make a TCP connection to www.ripe.net port 80, I don't care
   v4 or v6"

 * In what way (if any) are the flowinfo and scopeid
   parts carried along the with the object doing the
   part of struct sockaddr?

  -- erno