[Python-3000] Generic function PEP won't make it in time

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Mon Apr 23 17:35:22 CEST 2007

On 23/04/07, Phillip J. Eby <pje at telecommunity.com> wrote:
> (It occurs to me that I should mention that, just like the relationship
> between 'type' and 'object' rarely matters unless you delve into
> metaclasses or other wizardry, so too am I referring here only to the
> wizard-level aspects of a generic function module, where my design allows
> for people to write their own dispatchers or interface implementations and
> plug them into the base module, using the same decorators and basic
> machinery.  Merely *using* generic functions and interfaces would of course
> be at least as simple as interfaces and static overloads in Java or C++ --
> that's *not* the part of the PEP that's hard to write.)

I wonder whether starting off with a PEP that omits or skims over the
wizard-level stuff would not actually be more use. If you already have
most of that PEP, why not publish it, with a section called something
like "Advanced Use" which for now is simply a "to be completed"
placeholder.

If the basic stuff really is that simple, I'd love to see just that
for now. It would put the advanced stuff into context when it finally
arrived.

Paul