[Python-3000] Generic function PEP won't make it in time

Emin.shopper Martinian.shopper emin.shopper at gmail.com
Thu Apr 26 14:20:04 CEST 2007

> You summarize the differences clearly. Let's agree to disagree. I
> think that having to have an abstraction marker on the class *and* on
> the abstract methods is asking the user to repeat (nearly) the same
> information twice, and I really don't think that a (partially)
> abstract class needs to be re-marked as abstract.

OK. I still believe that this slight flaw is worth the benefit of def time
checks, but accept your judgement that the use cases I have in mind are not
common enough to justify it. Consider my proposal withdrawn.

I find it hard to believe that the definition-time error saves you
> much development time at all compared to a instantiation-time error.
> Others have already responded to your attitude towards unit tests --
> if your unit tests take 10 minutes to run, you're doing something else
> wrong. May I suggest you read this:
>
> http://googletesting.blogspot.com/2007/01/introducing-testing-on-toilet.html

Sigh. I think unit tests are great. I write unit tests for all of my code. I
have a script that runs all the unit tests on our development branch
overnight and emails me about the things that fails. I'm not motivated by a
dislike of unit-tests. If anything, I am too much a believer in testing
which is why I advocated the option to have more testing facilities (i.e.,
def time tests). I think having more options available for testing is a good
thing and I don't understand the vehement objections people have to anything
that vaguely resembles static checks.

Thanks,
-Emin