[Python-3000] [Python-Dev] Pre-pre PEP for 'super' keyword

Collin Winter collinw at gmail.com
Mon Apr 30 00:49:54 CEST 2007

[cc:-python-dev]

On 4/29/07, Calvin Spealman <ironfroggy at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 4/29/07, Jim Jewett <jimjjewett at gmail.com> wrote:
> > As long as you can be explicit, should the shortcut be a full
> > shortcut?  That is,
> >
> >     def f(self, a, b=c, *args, **kwargs):
> >         super()    # passes the exact arglist that f got
>
> I sure wish my previous complaints didn't hinder this, because I
> really love the idea of being able to this, which would really
> encourage more compatible method signatures, so you can use the
> shortcut! I'm desperate for a solution that satisfies all the sides of
> the equation.

I hate this. super() calls would be completely different from other
function calls in that what appears to be an empty argument list is
actually a filled-out argument list.

Please stick to the original topic of figuring out how to remove the
class name from super calls, rather than inventing new magical,
spooky-action-at-a-distance toys.

Collin Winter