[Python-3000] PEP 31XX: A Type Hierarchy for Numbers (and other algebraic entities)

Steven Bethard steven.bethard at gmail.com
Mon Apr 30 02:19:14 CEST 2007

On 4/29/07, Talin <talin at acm.org> wrote:
> If it were technically possible, I would recommend that this PEP have to
> run the same gauntlet that any other large library addition would, which
> is to go through a long period of community feedback and criticism,
> during which a large number of people actually attempt to use the
> feature for real work.

This sounds like a pretty good reason to add __isinstance__() and
__issubclass__().  Then the various ABCs can be distributed as
third-party modules but can still make sure that things like
isinstance(42, Real) and issubclass(int, Complex) are True (or
whatever other assertions people want to make).

STeVe
        --- Bucky Katt, Get Fuzzy