[Python-3000] Updated and simplified PEP 3141: A TypeHierarchyfor Numbers

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Fri Aug 3 01:30:59 CEST 2007

"Terry Reedy" <tjreedy at udel.edu> wrote in message
news:f8tnog$45f$1 at sea.gmane.org...
|| In short, having read up to the beginning of Exact vs. Inexact Classes,
my
| suggestion is to delete the unrealizable 'real' class

Less than a minute after hitting Send, I realized that one could base a
(restricted) class of non-rational reals on tuple of rationals, with one
being an exponent of the other.  But since operations on such pairs
generally do not simplify to such a pair, the members of such a class would
have to be expression trees.  So computation would be mostly symbolic
rather than actual.  And I don't think we need an ABC for such a
specialized symbolic computation class.

tjr