[Python-3000] Binary compatibility

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Tue Aug 7 05:51:26 CEST 2007

> This means that I can't distribute Python extensions as binaries.

I think this conclusion is completely wrong. Why do you come to it?

If you want to distribute extension modules for Ubuntu, just distribute
the UCS-4 module. You need separate binary packages for different
microprocessors and operating systems, anyway, as you can't use the
same binary for Windows, OSX, Ubuntu, or Solaris.

> Any extension built on Ubuntu may fail on some other system.

Every extension built on Ubuntu *will* fail on other processors
or operating systems - even if the Unicode issue was solved, it
would still be a different instruction set (if you x85 vs. SPARC
or Itanium, say), and even for a single microprocessor, it will
fail if the OS ABI is different (different C libraries etc).

Now, you seem to talk about different *Linux* systems. On Linux,
use UCS-4.

Regards,
Martin