[Python-3000] Binary compatibility

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Wed Aug 8 07:45:57 CEST 2007

>> Now, you seem to talk about different *Linux* systems. On Linux,
>> use UCS-4.
>
> Yes, that's what we want. But Python 2.5 defaults to UCS-2 (at least
> last time I tried), while many distros have used UCS-4. If Linux
> always used UCS-4, that would be fine, but currently there's no
> guarantee of that.

I see why a guarantee would help, but I don't think it's necessary.
Just provide UCS-4 binaries only on Linux, and when somebody complains,
tell them to recompile Python, or to recompile your software themselves.

The defaults in 2.5.x cannot be changed anymore. The defaults could
be changed for Linux in 2.6, but then the question is: why just for
Linux?

Regards,
Martin