[Python-3000] Immutable bytes type and dbm modules

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Fri Aug 10 00:45:28 CEST 2007

Jason Orendorff schrieb:
> On 8/9/07, "Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de> wrote:
>>> Too true.  Offhand, why not provide hooks for serializing and
>>> deserializing keys?
>
> It was just a suggestion.  I wish this could occasionally
> go without saying.

Perhaps using "I suggest" instead of asking "why not" would
have clued me; English is not my native language, and I take
questions as literally asking something. Normally, the answer
to "why not do XYZ" is "because nobody has the time to do
that", but too many people asking this specific question
still haven't learned this, so I feel obliged to provide the
obvious answer rather than ignoring the poster. This is
in turn because I heard too many times "I posted this years
ago, but nobody listened".

In some cases, posters genuinely don't know that nobody
else will work on it and that they need to become active
if they want to see things happen. So telling them has the
small chance that we get more contributions out of it than
mere suggestions; this is well worth the time spent to
tell people like you what they already knew.

Regards,
Martin