[Python-3000] IDLE encoding setup

Kurt B. Kaiser kbk at shore.net
Sun Aug 12 04:13:38 CEST 2007

I've checked in a version of PyShell.py which directs exceptions to the
terminal instead of to IDLE's shell since the latter isn't working right now.

There also is apparently an encoding issue with the subprocess setup
which I'm ignoring for now by starting IDLE w/o the subprocess:

cd Lib/idlelib
../../python ./idle.py -n

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "./idle.py", line 21, in <module>
    idlelib.PyShell.main()
  File "/home/kbk/PYDOTORG/projects/python/branches/py3k/Lib/idlelib/PyShell.py", line 1389, in main
    shell = flist.open_shell()
  File "/home/kbk/PYDOTORG/projects/python/branches/py3k/Lib/idlelib/PyShell.py", line 274, in open_shell
    if not self.pyshell.begin():
  File "/home/kbk/PYDOTORG/projects/python/branches/py3k/Lib/idlelib/PyShell.py", line 976, in begin
    self.firewallmessage, idlever.IDLE_VERSION, nosub))
  File "/home/kbk/PYDOTORG/projects/python/branches/py3k/Lib/idlelib/PyShell.py", line 1214, in write
    OutputWindow.write(self, s, tags, "iomark")
  File "/home/kbk/PYDOTORG/projects/python/branches/py3k/Lib/idlelib/OutputWindow.py", line 42, in write
    s = str(s, IOBinding.encoding)
TypeError: decoding Unicode is not supported

Hopefully MvL has a few minutes to revisit the IOBinding.py code which is
setting IDLE's encoding.  I'm not sure how it should be configured.

--
KBK