[Python-3000] More PEP 3101 changes incoming

Ron Adam rrr at ronadam.com
Thu Aug 16 12:21:00 CEST 2007

Paul Moore wrote:
> On 15/08/07, Ron Adam <rrr at ronadam.com> wrote:
>> EXAMPLES:
>>
> [...]
>> Examples from python3000 list:
> [...]
>
> Can I suggest that these all go into the PEP, to give readers some
> flavour of what the new syntax will look like?
>
> I'd also repeat the suggestion that these examples be posted to
> comp.lang.python, to get more general community feedback.
>
> Paul.

Currently these particular examples aren't the syntax supported by the PEP.
  It's an alternative/possibly syntax only if there is enough support for a
serial left to right specification pattern as outlined.

What the pep supports is a single value that is passed to the __format__
function.  So the pep syntax combines alignment and other options into one
term that the __format__ methods must decode all at once.

I think most of developers here are still looking at various details and
are still undecided.  Do you have a preference for one or the other yet?

Cheers,
    Ron