[Python-3000] UTF-32 codecs

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Thu Aug 16 20:33:19 CEST 2007

On 8/16/07, "Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de> wrote:
> Walter Dörwald schrieb:
> > I have a patch against the py3k branch (http://bugs.python.org/1775604)
> > that adds UTF-32 codecs. On a narrow build it combines surrogate pairs
> > in the unicode object into one codepoint on encoding and creates
> > surrogate pairs for codepoints outside the BMP on decoding.
> >
> > Should I apply this to the py3k branch only, or do we want that for
> > Python 2.6 too (using str instead of bytes)?
>
> If it's no effort, I would like to seem this on the trunk also.
>
> In general, I'm skeptical about the "new features only in 3k" strategy.
> Some features can be added easily with no backwards-compatibility issues
> in 2.x, and would have normally been added to the next major 2.x release
> without much discussion.

Agreed, especially since we're planning on backporting much to 2.6. I
want to draw the line at *dropping* stuff from 2.6 though (or
replacing it, or changing it). 2.6 needs to be *very* compatible with
2.5, in order to lure most users into upgrading to 2.6, which is a
prerequisite for porting to 3.0 eventually.