[Python-3000] AtheOS?

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Fri Aug 17 19:36:09 CEST 2007

>     Martin> It took some effort to integrate this for 2.3, so I feel sad
>     Martin> that this is now all ripped out again. I'm not certain the code
>     Martin> gets cleaner that way - just smaller.
>
> Well, fewer #ifdefs can't be a bad thing.

By that principle, it would be best if Python supported only a single
platform - I would chose Linux (that would also save me creating
Windows binaries :-)

Fewer ifdefs are a bad thing if they also go along with fewer
functionality, or worse portability. As I said, people contributed their
time to write this code (in this case, it took me several hours of work,
to understand and adjust the patch being contributed), and I do find
it bad, in principle, that this work is now all declared wasted.

I'm in favor of removing code that is clearly not needed anymore,
and I (sadly) agree to removing the AtheOS port - although it's not
obvious to me that it isn't needed anymore.

My only plea is that PEP 11 gets followed strictly, i.e. that code
is only removed after users of a platform have been given the chance
to object. If it isn't followed, I better withdraw it (I notice that
AtheOS is listed for "unsupported" status in 2.6, so in this case,
it's fine).

Regards,
Martin