[Python-3000] AtheOS?

Alexandre Vassalotti alexandre at peadrop.com
Fri Aug 17 22:50:24 CEST 2007

[disclaimer: I am a clueless newbie in the portability area.]

On 8/17/07, skip at pobox.com <skip at pobox.com> wrote:

>     Martin> It took some effort to integrate this for 2.3, so I feel sad
>     Martin> that this is now all ripped out again. I'm not certain the code
>     Martin> gets cleaner that way - just smaller.
>
> Well, fewer #ifdefs can't be a bad thing.

Perhaps, it would be a good idea to take Plan9's approach to
portability -- i.e., you develop an extreme allergy to code filled
with #if, #ifdef, #else, #elseif; localize system dependencies in
separate files and hide them behind interfaces.

By the way, there is a great chapter about portability in The Practice
of Programming, by Brian W. Kernighan and Rob Pike
(http://plan9.bell-labs.com/cm/cs/tpop/). That is where I first
learned about this approach.

-- Alexandre