[Python-3000] Py3k-buffer branch merged back to py3k branch

Travis E. Oliphant oliphant.travis at ieee.org
Sat Aug 18 13:33:51 CEST 2007

Hello all,

I'm sorry I won't be attending the Google sprints next week.  I'm going
to be moving from Utah to Texas next week and will be offline for
several days.

In preparation for the sprints, I have converted all Python objects to
use the new buffer protocol PEP and implemented most of the C-API.  This
work took place in the py3k-buffer branch which now passes all the tests
that py3k does.

So, I merged the changes back to the py3k branch in hopes that others
can continue working on what I've done.  The merge took place after
fully syncing the py3k-buffer branch with the current trunk.

There will be somebody from our community that will be at the Sprints
next week.  He has agreed to try and work on the buffer protocol some
more.  He is new to Python and so will probably need some help.  He has
my cell phone number and will call me with questions which I hope to
answer.

Left to do:

1) Finish the MemoryViewObject (getitem/setitem needs work).
2) Finish the struct module changes (I've started, but have not checked
	the changes in).
3) Add tests

Possible problems:

It seems that whenever a PyExc_BufferError is raised, problems (like
segfaults) occur.  I tried to add a new error object by copying how
Python did it for other errors, but it's likely that I didn't do it right.

I will have email contact for a few days (until Tuesday) but will not
have much time to work.

Thanks,

-Travis Oliphant