[Python-3000] Looking for advice on PEP 3101 implementation details

Eric V. Smith ericsmith at windsor.com
Tue Aug 21 00:54:51 CEST 2007

I've completed most of the implementation for PEP 3101.  The only thing
I have left to do is the Formatter class, which is supposed to live in
the string module.

My plan is to write this part in Python, and put it in Lib/string.py.
Given the complexities and book-keeping involved, writing it in C
doesn't seem worth the hassle.  In order to talk back to the existing C
implementation, I'll create a private module in Modules/_formatter.c.

Does this seem reasonable?

If so, my question is how to add module in the Modules directory.  There
is some logic in the top level Makefile.pre.in, but it doesn't look like
it applies to all of the code in Modules, just some of the files.

Modules/Setup.dist contains this comment:
# This only contains the minimal set of modules required to run the
# setup.py script in the root of the Python source tree.

I think this applies to me, as setup.py indirectly includes string.

So, is the right thing to do to insert my _formatter.c into
Modules/Setup.dist?  Is there anything else I need to do?

I googled for help on this, but didn't get anywhere.

Thanks again for any assistance.

Eric.