[Python-3000] Removing simple slicing

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Fri Aug 24 19:02:26 CEST 2007

On 8/24/07, Thomas Wouters <thomas at python.org> wrote:
> If nobody cares, I will be checking these patches into the trunk this
> weekend (after updating them), and then update and check in the rest of the
> p3yk-noslice branch into the py3k branch.

In the trunk? I'm concerned that that might make it (ever so slightly)
incompatible with 2.5, and we're trying to make it as easy as possible
to migrate to 2.6. Or perhaps you're just proposing to change the
standard builtin types to always use the extended API, without
removing the possibility of user types (either in C or in Python)
using the simple API, at least in 2.6?

I think in 2.6, if a class defines __{get,set,del}slice__, that should
still be called when simple slice syntax is used in preference of
__{get,set,del}item__. I'm less sure that this is relevant for the C
API; perhaps someone more familiar with numpy could comment. In 3.0
this should all be gone of course.

Apart from that, I'm looking forward to getting this over with, and
checked in to both 2.6 and 3.0!