[Python-3000] Removing email package until it's fixed

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Sun Aug 26 07:13:02 CEST 2007

On Sun, Aug 26, 2007, Neil Schemenauer wrote:
> Brett Cannon <brett at python.org> wrote:
>>
>> I don't like the former, but the latter is intriguing.  If we could
>> host large packages (e.g., email, sqlite, ctypes, etc.) on python.org
>> by providing tracker, svn, and web space they could be developed and
>> released on their own schedule.  Then the Python release would then
>> become a sumo release of these various packages.
>
> Hosting them on python.org is a separate decision.  We should be able
> to pull in packages that are hosted anywhere into the "batteries
> included" distribution.
>
> It sounds like most people are supportive of this idea.

Please don't interpret a missing chorus of opposition as support.  I'm
only -0, but I definitely am negative on the idea based on my guess about
the likelihood of problems.

(OTOH, I have no opinion about temporarily removing the email package
for a1 -- though I'm tempted to suggest we call it a0 instead.)

"If you don't know what your program is supposed to do, you'd better not
start writing it."  --Dijkstra