[Python-3000] Limitations of "batteries included"

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Sun Aug 26 07:17:19 CEST 2007

On Sat, Aug 25, 2007, Guido van Rossum wrote:

> I believe the only reasonable solution is to promote the use of
> package managers, and to let go of the "batteries included" philosophy
> where it comes to major external functionality. When it links to
> something that requires me to do install a pre-built external
> non-Python bundle anyway (e.g. Berkeley Db, Sqlite, and others), the
> included battery is useless until it is "charged" by installing that
> dependency; the Python wrapper might as well be managed by the same
> package manager.
>
> Now, there's plenty of pure Python (or Python-specific) functionality
> for which "batteries included" makes total sense, including the email
> package, wsgiref, XML processing, and more; it's often a judgement
> call. But I want to warn against the desire to include everything --
> it's not going to happen, and it shouldn't.

That overall makes sense and is roughly my understanding of the status
for the past while -- it's why we've been pushing PyPI.  What I would say
is that the Python philosophy stays "batteries included" and does not
move closer to a "sumo" philosophy.  I do think a separate sumo
distribution might make sense if someone wants to drive it.

"If you don't know what your program is supposed to do, you'd better not
start writing it."  --Dijkstra