[Python-3000] Merging the trunk SSL changes.

Thomas Wouters thomas at python.org
Tue Aug 28 23:17:37 CEST 2007

I'm trying to merge the trunk into the py3k branch (so I can work on
removing simple slices), but the SSL changes in the trunk are in the way.
That is to say, the new 'ssl' module depends on the Python 2.x layout in the
'socket' module. Specifically, that socket.socket is a wrapper class around
_socket.socket, so it can subclass that and still pass a socket as a
separate argument to __init__. Unfortunately, in Python 3.0,
socket.socketis a subclass of _socket.socket, so that trick won't
work. And there isn't
really a way to fake it, either, except by making ssl.sslsocket *not*
subclass socket.socket.

I'm going to check in this merge despite of the extra breakage, but it would
be good if someone could either fix the py3k branch proper (I don't see
how), or change the trunk strategy to be more forward-compatible.

--
Thomas Wouters <thomas at python.org>

spread!