[Python-3000] Will Py3K be friendlier to optimization opportunities?

skip at pobox.com skip at pobox.com
Wed Aug 29 21:21:25 CEST 2007

    >> Is Python 3 likely to change in any way so as to make future
    >> performance optimization work more fruitful?

    Martin> In particular, people have repeatedly requested that the GIL be
    Martin> removed for Python 3. There is nothing remotely resembling a
    Martin> patch implementing such a feature at the moment, so this won't
    Martin> happen.

I certainly wasn't expecting something to be available for review now or in
the near future.  I was actually mostly thinking about language syntax and
semantics when I started writing that email.  I think those are more likely
to be frozen early on in the 3.0 development cycle.  I seem to recall some
message(s) on python-dev a long time ago about maybe restricting outside
modification of a module's globals, e.g.:

    import a
    a.x = 1     # proposed as an error?

which would have allowed easier optimization of global access.

Skip