[Python-3000] Release Countdown

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Fri Aug 31 06:52:08 CEST 2007

I'm pretty happy where we stand now -- I just squashed the last two
failing tests (test_mailbox and test_oldmailbox). It is 9:30 pm here
and I'm tired, so I'm going to try and get a good night's sleep and do
the release as early as I can tomorrow.

Remember, I'll freeze the branch (not a real lock, just a request to
stop submitting) tomorrow (Friday) around 6 am my time -- that's 9 am
US east coast, 15:00 in most of western Europe. I'd appreciate it if
there were no broken unit tests then. :-)

If there are urgent things that I need to look at, put them in the bug
tracker, set priority to urgent, version to Python 3.0, and assign
them to me. Please exercise restraint in making last-minute sweeping
changes (except to the docs).

Please do review README, RELNOTES (new!), Misc/NEWS, and especially
Doc/whatsnew/3.0.rst, (and the rest of the docs) and add what you feel
ought to be added.

You can also preview the web page I plan to use for the release --
it's not linked from anywhere yet, but here it is anyway:
http://www.python.org/download/releases/3.0/. Those of you lucky
enough to be able to edit it, please go ahead; others, add suggestions
to the bug tracker as above. Note that this page ends with a complete
copy of the release notes; I expect to be adding more release notes
after the release has been published, once we figure out what else
isn't working.

I expect 3.0a2 to follow within 2-4 weeks; the alpha release process
is relatively light-weight now that I've figured out most of the
details.

PS. PEP 101 needs a serious rewrite. It still talks about CVS.