[Python-3000] Compiling Python 3.0 with MS Visual Studio 2005

Christian Heimes lists at cheimes.de
Fri Aug 31 18:46:41 CEST 2007

I tried to compile Python 3.0 with MS Visual Studio 2005 on Windows XP
SP2 (German) and I run into multiple problems with 3rd party modules.
The problem with time on German installations of Windows still exists.
It renders Python 3.0a on Windows for Germans pretty useless. :/

* the import of _time still fails on my (German) windows box because my
time zone contains umlauts. "set TZ=GMT" fixes the problem.

* bzip2: The readme claims that libbz2.lib is compiled automatically but
it's not the case for pcbuild8. I had to compile it manually using the
libbz2.dsp project file with the target "Release".

* bsddb: The recipe for _bsddb isn't working because Berkeley_DB.sln was
created with an older version of Visual Studio. But one can convert the
file and build it with Visual Studio easily without using the shell.
Only the db_static project is required. The bsddb project has another
issue. The file _bsddb.pyd ends in win32pgo and not in win32debug or
win32release.

* MSI: msi.lib is missing on x86. It's must be installed with the
platform SDK. The blog entry
http://blogs.msdn.com/heaths/archive/2005/12/15/504399.aspx explains the
background and how to install msi.lib

* sqlite3: The sqlite3.dll isn't copied into the build directories
win32debug and win32release. This breaks the imports and tests.

* SSL: The _ssl project is not listed in the project map and the
compilation of openssl fails with an error in crypto/des/enc_read.c:150
"The POSIX name for this item is deprecated. Instead, use the ISO C++
conformant name: _read."

Christian