[Python-3000] Who wants to help me reorganize the stdlib?

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Thu Dec 6 05:14:38 CET 2007

As Guido stated in a recent email, the stdlib reorg is going to be the
next big thing in Py3K-Land after a2 goes out the door.  And since I
stuck my head out and wrote PEP 3108 and tried to spear-head a reorg
several times before, I am the de-facto junior dictator in charge of
the reorganization of the stdlib.

The plan is to get this done by summer.  While that might seem like a
long ways off, this is open source, so everyone's time is restricted.
Plus, as I know from personal experience, people love to argue over
how to organize stuff, and so the resulting flame wars always take up
time and energy.

Plus I am only a single person and I know that my opinion does not
always mesh with everyone else out there (there is a reason why most
of my PEPs end up being heavily cut back  =) .  So I am asking anyone
who is interested in helping me out with this to reply to this thread.
 That way most of the work can be done off-list in a more sane manner
first where I can keep the flames down to a minimum to actually get
this done without my getting blood pressure problems too early in
life.

And remember that the reorg is not to make the stdlib some deeply
nested package (nor add a root package name!).  It is to fix module
naming issues, remove obsolete stuff (both of which are pretty well
covered by PEP 3108), and to create some shallow packages (i.e., take
some top-level modules and put them into a single package with no
nesting).  There might even be a module merger or two.

So if this sounds interesting to you and you want to help me, let me know.

-Brett