[Python-3000] Py3.0 Library Ideas
python at rcn.com
Fri Feb 16 01:48:51 CET 2007
* Remove the unreliable empty() and full() methods from Queue.py
* Remove jumpahead() from the random API. It is somewhat uncommon for PRNGs to
have a closed form solution that jumpsahead N steps.
* Make the primative for random be something generating random bytes rather than
random floats. Currently to get a random integer, a generator like the Mersenne
twister generates two blocks of 4 bytes, which are then turned into a C double
and then random.py module converts the float back into an integer in the desired
range. The long-->float-->long dance could be abbreviated. This would also
make it easier to substitute in other generators without making them responsible
for the long-->float step.
* Get rid of Cookie.SerialCookie and Cookie.SmartCookie
* Modify the heapq.heapreplace() API to compare the new value to the top of the
heap. This has come-up more than once. When using a heap for a priority queue,
sometimes there is a need to revise the priority of an entry in the middle of
the heap. This can be done with heapreplace substituting the new priority/task
pair and then running a _siftup operation to restore the heap condition.
More information about the Python-3000