[Python-3000] Thoughts on new I/O library and bytecode

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Mon Feb 26 04:12:37 CET 2007

Thomas Wouters wrote:

> I think you're confused. There isn't anything 'less generic' about the
> bytes literal. Both bytes([...]) and b"..." can express the full 256
> value range.

Yes, but it only makes sense to try to display it as
characters if it's meant to represent characters in
the first place. Otherwise you get something that
looks like line noise.

BTW, I don't really think that bytes([104, 101, 108,
108, 111]) is the right way to display it either.
There ought to be some kind of compact hex format.
Maybe something like

    $[68656C6C6F]

--
Greg