[Python-3000] Draft PEP for New IO system

Adam Olsen rhamph at gmail.com
Tue Feb 27 16:00:37 CET 2007

On 2/26/07, Mike Verdone <mike.verdone at gmail.com> wrote:
> Text I/O
> The text I/O layer provides functions to read and write strings from
> streams. Some new features include universal newlines and character
> set encoding and decoding.  The Text I/O layer is defined by a
> TextIOBase abstract base class.  It provides several methods that are
> similar to the BufferIOBase methods, but operate on a per-character
> basis instead of a per-byte basis.  These methods are:

"per-character" needs some clarification.  I'm guessing this will only
return entire code points, but the unicode type will expose them as
code units, so it could be seen as both per-code-point and
per-code-unit.

To be really pedantic, neither of them are truly "per-character" in
unicode parlance, despite the fact that they store "character data".

--
Adam Olsen, aka Rhamphoryncus