[Python-3000] PEP 3108: Standard Library Reorganization

Bill Janssen janssen at parc.com
Wed Jan 3 01:51:20 CET 2007

Brett,

Thanks for writing this up.

Here are my thoughts on this (after 3 weeks away, I'm still catching up):

The link to PEP 4 is broken.

"nis" -- NIS is still widely used by many people; probably premature to remove.

"md5" and "sha" -- should note pointer to "hashlib".

"base64"/"quopri"/"uu" -- still quite useful, so I'd suggest removing
them but retaining "binascii", with a new implementation that uses the
"codecs" support directly.

Thank God "asyncore" was 'saved'.

I hate the renaming ideas, but I agree it's probably necessary.

Let me suggest a consolidation idea I don't see there:  a grouping
similar to that which has been done with email, but called "web".
This package would include "urllib", "urllib2", "urlparse", "httplib",
"cgi", "BaseHTTPServer", "BaseCGIServer", "HTMLParser", "Cookie",
"cookielib", and "SimpleHTTPServer" (at least).  The Python ECMAScript
interpreter could go there, too, when it's written :-).

Bill