[Python-3000] PEP 3108: Standard Library Reorganization

Anthony Baxter anthony at interlink.com.au
Fri Jan 5 14:49:17 CET 2007

On Friday 05 January 2007 18:51, Talin wrote:
> Just curious, how much pain would it cause you if these were
> CheeseShop packages instead of built-in?

Considerable for the open-source stuff. Windows users, in
particular, have great difficulty with downloading extensions.
If they also have to build it from source, it's exponentially
worse.

That's one thing worth noting - if we are proposing to push any
C-code packages off to the cheeseshop, we need to make sure we make
available the binary packages for Windows users, and keep doing it
when there's a new major release, at least if the package has any
use at all.

Right now, I don't even know that it's possible to build a binary
extension without spending money - it needs a version of the MS
compiler that's no longer available. Last I looked, there wasn't a
free solution that worked (hopefully that's changed now). In any
case, telling people "now you'll need to download a couple of
hundred megabytes of compiler" doesn't strike me as a path to
happiness.