[Python-3000] PEP 3108: Standard Library Reorganization

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Fri Jan 5 20:58:08 CET 2007

On 1/4/07, Anthony Baxter <anthony at interlink.com.au> wrote:

> Starting a new thread...
>
> > Several modules in the stdlib work on a specific file format.  It
> > is possible some of these formats are no longer used and thus the
> > stdlib modules for them can go.  Below is a list of some modules
> > which rely on a file format that may be obsolete.
> > audioop
> >     Raw (8|16|32)-bit wide audio files (as generated by the al and
> >     sunaudiodev modules).
> > chunk
> >     AIFF, AIFF-C, and RMFF audio files.
> > sunau
> >     Sun AU audio files [#sun-au]_.
>
> audioop and sunau disappearing would make me _very_ _very_ unhappy.

Well, I am not about to piss off the release manager.  =)

audioop in particular- I make heavy use of it in a number of
> projects (both opensource and non).
>
> The sunau format is still used in quite a number of places - for
> instance, it's the default format for cisco access gateways, as
> well as a bunch of other hardware.

I just removed that whole section in Open Issues so audioop, sunau, and
chunk are not even being considered for removal.

I could see the justification for moving all of the audio-specific
> modules (these ones, aifc, wave, sndhdr) into a new toplevel 'audio'
> package. Although 'chunk' is also used for some forms of image
> file, IIRC.

Anyone know if this is true? I just want to be sure since I will be
proposing new packages soon.

-Brett