[Python-3000] Comments on PEP 3108

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Fri Jan 5 21:30:32 CET 2007

On 1/5/07, John J Lee <jjl at pobox.com> wrote:

> (I'm not subscribed to this list)
>
> > Consolidate dependent modules together into a single module or package?
> [...]
> > Cookie/cookielib
>
> There is no dependency in either direction between these two, and they do
> quite different things (as ISTR is documented in one or both modules).

Well, considering no one has even commented on that Open Issues section of
the PEP it will probably just be scrapped in favour of some reasonable
packages.

>     + urlparse?
>
> Since RFC 3986 and 3987 have now been published, this should be deprecated
> in favour of module uriparse (once it's been through the review process
> and various known issues with it are resolved).  I think uriparse.py is on
> Python SF patch tracker somewhere (I forget who contributed it, sorry).

Well, if someone wants to do that then urlparse will definitely disappear as
all deprecated modules automatically get dropped in Py3K.

(I'm -1 on the name "uriparse", FWIW, because of the implication that the
> difference between urlparse and uriparse is something to do with the
> difference between URLs and URIs (it is not).  But if urlparse goes away
> fairly quickly, maybe that's not a big deal.)
>

> >     + httplib?
>
> Greg Stein pointed out on the web-sig some years back that some of the
> functionality of urllib2 (handling redirections, auth, etc.) could/should
> be added to httplib.  I suspect one could devise a similar system to
> urllib2 handlers (as of Python 2.4) that would nicely allow the redirect
> etc. functionality to be implemented only once, while preserving backwards
> compatibility for both modules.  I may (or may not) work on this myself.

Well, that is beyond the scope of this PEP so I am not going to get into
that.

-Brett