[Python-3000] Comments on PEP 3108

John J Lee jjl at pobox.com
Fri Jan 5 21:12:20 CET 2007

(I'm not subscribed to this list)

> Consolidate dependent modules together into a single module or package?
[...]
> Cookie/cookielib

There is no dependency in either direction between these two, and they do
quite different things (as ISTR is documented in one or both modules).

>     + urlparse?

Since RFC 3986 and 3987 have now been published, this should be deprecated
in favour of module uriparse (once it's been through the review process
and various known issues with it are resolved).  I think uriparse.py is on
Python SF patch tracker somewhere (I forget who contributed it, sorry).

(I'm -1 on the name "uriparse", FWIW, because of the implication that the
difference between urlparse and uriparse is something to do with the
difference between URLs and URIs (it is not).  But if urlparse goes away
fairly quickly, maybe that's not a big deal.)

>     + httplib?

Greg Stein pointed out on the web-sig some years back that some of the
functionality of urllib2 (handling redirections, auth, etc.) could/should
be added to httplib.  I suspect one could devise a similar system to
urllib2 handlers (as of Python 2.4) that would nicely allow the redirect
etc. functionality to be implemented only once, while preserving backwards
compatibility for both modules.  I may (or may not) work on this myself.

John