[Python-3000] possible new packages (PEP 3108)

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Wed Jan 10 01:14:02 CET 2007

On 1/9/07, Mike Klaas <mike.klaas at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 1/9/07, Brett Cannon <brett at python.org> wrote:
> >
> > * 'collections' package
> >
> >   + heapq
> >   + Queue
>
> Putting this in a collections package might exacerbate the confusion
> over its intended use.  It really is more of a threading
> synchronization tool than a general queue datastructure (though it is
> certainly possible to use in that fashion).
>
> Perhaps the module can be renamed to conform to pep 8.  threadqueue?
> Or, move into the threading module?

Moving it to the threading module has been discussed before (I think).
 I am fine with that if people really want it to be solely associated
with threading.  But renaming it threadqueue instead of adding it to
the 'threading' module seems a little silly if it is to be considered
so thread-specific.

> >   + sets
>
> Does the sets module serve any purpose other than backward
> compatibility?  Why not remove those module for py3k?
>
> Especially considering:
> In [6]: isinstance(set(), sets.BaseSet)
> Out[6]: False

Same reason that the User* modules still exist I suppose.  Plus I
don't know if PyPy or anyone else rely on it for their set/frozentset
implementation.

-Brett