[Python-3000] possible new packages (PEP 3108)

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Wed Jan 10 04:34:05 CET 2007

On 1/9/07, Bill Janssen <janssen at parc.com> wrote:
> OK, let me repeat myself.

OK.

> I see no point in grouping modules just because they're servers.

That's fine.  But they do server a similar purpose and so it is a
legit suggestion.  If no one else likes it then it won't go anywhere.

I will take this as a -1 on any server-specific grouping.

> I'd suggest a Web module containing:
>
>   html:
>     htmlentitydefs
>     htmllib
>     HTMLParser
>     sgmllib (?)
>
>   server:
>
>     BaseHTTPServer
>     cgi
>     CGIHTTPServer
>     Cookie
>     wsgiref
>
>   client:
>
>     cookielib
>     httplib
>     urllib, urllib2, urlparse
>
>   browser:  (or these could just be part of "client")
>
>     webbrowser

I already have that package but without the subpackging which I am not
going to do.  As I said, I am not going to push for anything more than
a shallow (i.e., one level deep) package introduction.

> "cgitb" is generic functionality, and should be merged into "traceback".
>
> The classes in SimpleHTTPServer should be merged into BaseHTTPServer.
>
> "urllib" and "urllib2" should be merged.  "urlparse" should be merged into urllib.
>
> What's in SocketServer should be merged into "socket".

I am not dealing with any merging unless I have to.  Perhaps I should
make that a basic rule that I am not handling merges into a package
and that can be done separately.

> Perhaps "web" could be part of a higher-level "internet" package,
> which would also include "email", and things like nntplib and
> stringprep.

As I said, I am not going to try to make any package deep.

-Brett