[Python-3000] possible new packages (PEP 3108)

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Wed Jan 10 20:43:25 CET 2007

On 1/10/07, Bill Janssen <janssen at parc.com> wrote:
> Jim Jewett says:
> > If you want to combine modules, or move code to a more appropriate
> > place, that might be good too, but it isn't in Brett's scope.  All he
> > is doing is
> >
> > (1)  Getting rid of stuff that has already been replaced, and
> > (2)  (Maybe) moving modules closer together so that it will be easier
> > to see what  refactoring is needed.
> >
> > Eliminating some additional modules afterwards would be good too, but
> > there may not be time, and step (2) is worthwhile on its own.
>
> Yes, it's just that I disagree with you about that.  Step (2) causes
> more trouble than it's worth without really doing a reorg.

Well, this is why it is an Open Issue.  Guido explicitly said that he
only cleared renaming for modules that broke PEP 8 standards and
ditching cruft.  I decided to take this on just because I was already
looking at the entire stdlib and so I saw some patterns in terms of
what we have support for.  But I have limited time and with Guido
having not explicitly said he would clear anything like this I didn't
plan to spend a lot of effort on it.

The enthusiasm for this is not exactly high and people are already
arguing over depth and what should go where when there is conflict,
etc.  These are the same issues that come up every time someone
attempts to do this and leads to the idea dying on the mailing list
before it even reaches the PEP stage.

I think to keep my life simple, I am going to let this Open Issue live
until Saturday morning when I get up.  If we manage to get some
consensus by then on any packages they will survive and will be
proposed to Guido.  Otherwise I am removing the Open Issue and I will
leave it up to someone else to write up a PEP and pitch it to the list
and Guido.

-Brett